BMI Supply Design Competition and Exhibition
Suggested Design Categories: Scenic, Costume, Lighting, Make-up, Hair, Sound, Special Effects, Technical and Graphic
- There will be an entry fee of $10 for each design.
- Entry must be from a realized production of TANYS Member Company.
- The Production does not need to have been adjudicated.
- The Production must have been mounted between November 1 following the previous festival and October 31 of the current year to be eligible for the Festival.
- Entry of the Design may be made by the Member Company or by the Individual Member Designer.
- Either the Designer OR the Presenting Company MUST be Members of TANYS.
- No special preference will be given to members.
- Entry must be made by completing the application form and submitting this form by Nov 13.
- Form will be available on the TANYS Web Site.
- Only one entry per form.
- The Entry must be exhibited at Festival.
- All Entry set–up must be complete by Noon the Saturday of Festival.
- It is the responsibility of the Entrant to transport the Exhibit to the Festival Site.
- TANYS will designate an area for the designs to be exhibited.
• i.e.: Mannequins or models, video/audio playback devices, vertical riser, etc.
- o TANYS will provide Table Space and access to AC power as needed.
- o It is the responsibility of the entrant to provide anything else needed for the effective presentation of their design.
- The Exhibit should take up no more than a 3’x 3’ area.
- o Costumes Display may take more space but prior approval will be required.
- An Audio or Video playback may NOT interfere with another display. Headphones for the playback device are strongly encouraged.
- See “Specific Requirements” for more information.
- All Design Entries will be identified only by a designated number and the Name of the production to ensure impartial judging.
- Allowances will be made when the company name is integral to the design.
- o i.e.: posters, brochures, etc.
- Judging will be completed by the Saturday evening of Festival.
- Designer and Company names will be displayed with the entries during the Sunday of Festival.
- There will be a trophy award presented for: Best Overall Design.
- Judge’s Discretionary Awards, any or all of which may be presented:
The decisions of the Judge will be final. The Design Competition Committee will have sole responsibility for the interpretation of these guidelines and their execution.
- o Best <Design Category> Design.
- o Honorable Mention <Design Category> Design.
- o Award at the Judge’s discretion.
Requirements for All Entries:
1. Every Entry must have a written “Design Statement” in which the designer discusses the concept, thought and rationale for their design.
• This “Design Statement” should be no longer than 250 words.
2. Photos or videos of the design as it was originally presented ARE required.
• A Sound Design entrant will need an audio playback rather than visual.
- A pleasing presentation of the Design Entry is strongly encouraged.
- Entrants should include anything that they think will help the judge “visualize” their design.
Additional suggestions by Area:
1. Scenic Design
- A Model, Line drawing and/or Rendering
- A Floor Plan
- Elevations and working drawings will aid in the display of the design concept.
2. Costume Design
- The actual costume(s) when possible
- If Applicable: Line Drawings and Renderings
- Costume Plot by Character
3. Lighting Design
- Light Plot
- A working script showing cue placement
- Other paperwork as needed
4. Make-up Design
- Character Design sheets showing make-up color choices and application information
- Example of Prosthetics if applicable
5. Hair Design
- Style sheet from which design is comprised
- Wig samples if applicable
6. Sound Design
- Cue sheet showing effects/ mic choices
- A floor plan of speaker placement
- A flow chart of equipment and routing
7. Special Effects Design
- Cue sheet showing effects timing
- A floor plan of effects placement
- A statement of how actor safety was ensured
8. Technical Design (solution to a technical problem: rain, blood from a knife cut, etc.)
- Working drawings of the unit
- A model or if possible, the actual unit
9. Graphic Design (posters, artwork, programs, etc)
• An example of the work
For further information, contact: Bob Frame: 315-685-8193, email@example.com